New Releases: Whispers in the Reading Room

What was your favorite book that you read this month? For myself, I'd have to say Remnants: Season of Wonder by Lisa Tawn Bergren. I wasn't sure I would enjoy reading a dystopian / fantasy novel but I'm glad I dared to give it a shot. It was awesome! (I'll be reviewing it soon. :)



Title: Whispers in the Reading Room
Publication Date: November 10, 2015
Publisher: Zondervan

Description:
Lydia’s job at the library is her world—until a mysterious patron catches her eye . . . and perhaps her heart.

Just months after the closure of the Chicago World’s Fair, librarian Lydia Bancroft finds herself fascinated by a mysterious dark-haired and dark-eyed patron. He has never given her his name; he actually never speaks to a single person. All she knows about him is that he loves books as much as she does.

Only when he rescues her in the lobby of the Hartman Hotel does she discover that his name is Sebastian Marks. She also discovers that he lives at the top of the prestigious hotel and that most everyone in Chicago is intrigued by him.

Lydia and Sebastian form a fragile friendship, but when she discovers that Mr. Marks isn’t merely a very wealthy gentleman, but also the proprietor of an infamous saloon and gambling club, she is shocked.

Lydia insists on visiting the club one fateful night and suddenly is a suspect to a murder. She must determine who she can trust, who is innocent, and if Sebastian Marks—the man so many people fear—is actually everything her heart believes him to be.

My Review:
Whispers in the Reading Room is a novel full of adventure, excitement, and romance. You will be captivated from the beginning till the very end.

My favorite thing about this book was the plot. After reading the description I knew this would be a book I'd enjoy. I was curious to know what Lydia's reaction would be to finding out the truth about Sebastian.

One of the negative thoughts I had for this book was I felt that Lydia was so eager for adventure she threw aside some of her standards of right and wrong. Not so much when she went to the club to understand more about Sebastian but other little things she did. Like, breaking into the old building of the Chicago World's Fair... She knew it was wrong yet she did it anyways because she wanted too.

"...She realized he was enjoying the wickedness of it all. He liked that they were somewhere forbidden. He liked that they were standing somewhere that broke every rule of both society and its laws. As for her? She liked it too. After a lifetime of merely exisiting in her world of books, she liked actually living..." (from Whispers in the Reading Room) Why did it take breaking laws to make Lydia feel as if she's actually living? I didn't really understand that point....

Besides that though, I still enjoyed the book. I liked the characters, the details that seemed to come alive, and the small adventures throughout.

My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐
Note: I received this book through NetGalley. http://netgalley.

No comments :

Post a Comment