New Releases: Last Chance Hero

Book Title: Last Chance Hero
(Book 4 in A Place to Call Home Series)
Publication Date: September 8, 2015
Publisher: Revell

Description:
The inhabitants of Last Chance, New Mexico, could not be more pleased. Dr. Jessica McLeod has opened an office right on Main Street. Andy Ryan, the best athlete the little town ever produced, has ended his short career in the NFL and has come home to coach the mighty Pumas of Last Chance High. Unfortunately, Dr. Jess immediately gets off on the wrong foot when she admits that she's never seen a football game, isn't really interested in doing so, and, in fact, doesn't know a first down from a home run. Meanwhile, Coach Ryan is discovering that it's not easy to balance atop the pedestal the town has put him on. When this unlikely pair is drawn together over the future of a young player--whose gifts may lie in the laboratory rather than on the football field--they begin to wonder if they might have a future together as well.


My Review:
As much as I'd enjoyed the other books in A Place to Call Home Series I found this new addition to be somewhat dry. I didn't especially love the characters or the plot. It seemed that it was all about football and while I've enjoyed many books that have a strong football presence this one was kinda blah for me. Jess, the heroine, had never gone to a football game and wasn't interested in the sport. I connected with her in that aspect but otherwise I didn't feel like there was much depth to her. I felt that over half the conversations were spent in trying to convince Jess to like football. Maybe, if you're really into that sport this book will be for you.

Also, this book really left you hanging. It was like the author reached it's deadline and just ended the book. Andy and Jess's relationship had barely begun. The book actually ended on their first official date! I was shocked when I turned the page and that was the end. There were still issues that were left unsettled; like Jess's faith, or the Anderson's family situation...

I enjoyed the first two books in this series but the last two have disappointed me and I don't think I'll continue reading this series.

My Rating: ⭐⭐
Note: I received this book through NetGalley. http://netgalley.

No comments :

Post a Comment