Random Novel / Against the Tide


I just read this book last week. I'd read a few of Elizabeth Camden's books before but I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed them. Each of her books has a beautiful romance along with a mystery-filled plot. You won't be able to set down the book until the last chapter is over!

Book Title: Against the Tide
Author: Elizabeth Camden

Description:
After a childhood rampant with uncertainty, Lydia Pallas has carved out a perfect life for herself. She spends her days within sight of the bustling Boston Harbor, where her skill with languages has landed her an enviable position as a translator for the U.S. Navy.

Lydia's talents bring her tot he attention of Alexander Banebride, a mysterious man in need of a translator. Driven by a campaign to end the opium trade, Band is coolly analytical and relentless in his quest. He cannot afford to fall for Lydia and must fight the bittersweet love growing between them.

When Bane's enemies gain the upper hand, he is forced to turn to Lydia for help. Determined to prove her worth, Lydia soon discovers that carrying out Bane's mission will test her wits and her courage to the very limits.

My Review:
Against the Tide is a historical fiction taking place in the last decade of the eighteen hundreds. Two characters are determined to bring an end to the growing trade of opium and in the mist of this they find themselves falling in love with each other.

I found the book to be exciting from the first chapter and was enthralled until the very end. I liked the main characters Lydia and Bane, as he was called, a lot. Lydia's past has shaped her into a young woman dependent on order for her security. Bane is driven with a calling that he's willing to sacrifice his future for.

In the whole book I was only dissatisfied with one thing. Bane left Lydia brokenhearted because he didn't want to risk her life and yet when something comes up he goes back to her because he needs her to infiltrate his enemy's mansion. Why is he all the sudden willing to risk her? It's a lot more dangerous sending her off by herself than having her by your side... I just didn't get it.

Anyway, even with that I felt it was a great book. One I would read again.

My Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Follow Elizabeth Camden's board Against the Tide on Pinterest.

No comments :

Post a Comment