Beacons of Hope / Book 1

Today is the last day of April. It's hard to believe; although I'm really looking forward to May so I'm not disappointed. My family and I are participating in the Woman's Care Center of Erie's "Heroes for Life" 5K. It's the day before Mother's Day and I think it just hit me that I only have a little over a week left to practice. Where did the time go?!

Today's review is on book two in the Beacons of Hope series by Jody Hedlund. For any of you that haven't read this book yet Jody graciously provides on her website an excerpt from the book. I know for myself that after reading the first couple pages I was hooked. It's almost impossible not to get a book when you've gotten a taste of how awesome it will be. (Click HERE for the link.) 





P.S. There's a special treat being posted tomorrow that I'm sure you'll like, Question & Answers with Jody Hedlund!
 
(And if anyone is concerned that I might get sidetracked and it'll be delayed (I'll admit, it's happened), don't worry, I already have it scheduled to publish. :)
 
Book Title: Love Unexpected
Series: Beacons of Hope (Book 1)
Author: Jody Hedlund

Description:
What Is the Secret That Could Shipwreck Both of Their Lives?

All Emma Chambers ever wanted was a home, but when her steamboat sinks just outside Presque Isle, she's left destitute and with no place to stay.

An unlikely solution arises when the lighthouse keeper arrives in town. He's just lost his wife and is having a difficult time caring for his child. So a traveling preacher gets the idea that the keeper and Emma might be the answer to each other's dilemma. After a hasty marriage, she finds herself heading to the lighthouse with this handsome but quiet stranger. Nothing in her aimless life, though, has prepared her for parenting a rambunctious toddler, as well as managing a household.

Emma soon suspects Patrick may be hiding something from her, and then she hears a disturbing rumor about the circumstances surrounding his late wife's death. It seems as if her wish for a home and family of her own could end up leading her once more into turbulent waters.
My Review:
Like all of Jody Hedlund's book, Love Unexpected not only met my high standards for a good book but surpassed them. Emma Chambers was a well written character. Sweet, kind, with a vulnerable side, and besides a few flaws (I can't fault her for those; who doesn't have any?!), she's great example to emulate.

Patrick was probably my favorite of all the characters. Besides the fact that was guy, and I'm most definitely not :), I felt like I could connect with him in all lot of ways. The big thing about Patrick was, he let his past define who he was. And although he understood that God had saved him, he couldn't accept that he was forgiven, the past erased, and his sins gone in God's sight. I think most people struggle with this. I've noticed this in my own life and this book really brought this point to life.

I also really liked the setting for this book. The details of the landscape, sounds, smells were amazingly real in my mind. So much so, that I felt like I was there. This is what all authors strive to achieve in their writing and Jody Hedlund definitely hit the mark. I've totally loved this "lighthouse" series and can't wait for the next one!

My Rating:⭐⭐⭐⭐

Follow Jody Hedlund's board Novel: Love Unexpected on Pinterest.

No comments :

Post a Comment